Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Last Kiss In Venice

Last Kiss In Venice - Martin Chu Shui This is another one of those books like [b:The Black Wolf's Mark|19041513|The Black Wolf's Mark (The black wolf's mark, #1)|Pet TorreS|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1385727680s/19041513.jpg|25368014] that would definitely have benefited from an editor. I absolutely love the idea of this story - a modern, paranormal romance take on a Chinese legend - but the writing is just a mess.

The plot would be going along smoothly for a few lines, and then I'd hit a sentence like,

"If we meet again in our next life, if we're both in human form, I would definitely try to marry you at all costs: this is a promise.

Do I understand what that sentence is saying? Yes.

Is it awkward to read? Absolutely.

I've pretty much summed up what I think of the book already. I really don't know what else I can say. If this had been better edited, it would have been a much more enjoyable book. The basis of a good story is in there, it just needs to be polished.

For the rest of this review, enjoy some choice selections of awkward phrasing.

"I really enjoyed your accompany and I thank you for listening to me."

***

"Joe is only interesting in his beer and watching sports on TV," Charlie lowered his voice.

***

Glancing at his watch, Charlie realised it was well after lunchtime and that another protest had been arranged that afternoon so he had to be hurry.

***

'So how do you know who is him?'

***

"I know that, but I'm just so nervous. I'm worried that I'll blow opportunity if he knows who we are."

***

Despite of her European appearance...

***

'Ali, why should I stop? After so many centuries of waiting, why should I stop? This is love, Ali, do you understand love?'