Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Dreams and Snippets

Dreams and Snippets - Lain McCraken There are so many genres and types of story in this book that I've decided to take things story by story. Also, it makes the review look longer than it actually is. Shhhhhh!

The Abomination
The Abomination was really short, and had a very dystopian feel to it. There wasn't much to the plot, other than the reversal of rolls in an already unorthodox situation. It felt like the reversal was the entire point of the story.

The Watcher does, and the Doer watches.

Westward
This sounds like it should be a Western story, but it isn't. Not really.

It's more of a single scene, of a man stopping by a farmhouse for the night on his way out west, where things are better.

Coming of Age
Coming of Age was definitely my favorite story of the book.

The story is very medieval fantasy, and the twist at the end, while expected, was well executed.

Throw Back the Rocket Man
This was my second favorite story of the collection - it's also the longest story of the bunch. Where The Abomination felt like a dystopian sci-fi, Throw Back the Rocket Man was one.

The story takes a while to build up, but the world is pretty well developed for a short story.

Jim Comes to Tea
Judging by the title, this story doesn't seem like much.

It doesn't take long for the story to let you know exactly what's going on, though. And good lord, is this one depressing.

Christmas was Never the Same Anymore Since That Evening That Santa got Stuck in the Flue
This was a cute story about childhood naivete, setting people on fire, and dads eating Santa.