Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

The Fab Life

The Fab Life - Mercy Amare I was expecting more intrigue from this book, and less angsty romance.

Well, I mean obviously I was expecting *some* angsty romance. But gaaaaaah. Most of the book was nothing but Kihanna trying to figure out what the hell was going on with her love life. The intrigue doesn't really start until the last 5 - 10% of the story, at which point I was just ready for everything to be over already.

There was not a single character in this book that I didn't want to bludgeon. Ty was a douchebag, Gabe was annoyingly smug, and Toby was just creepy as hell. Even Kihanna, who's supposed to be the one likable character in a sea of self-important snobs, was obnoxious.

Look. I understand the fact that the majority of the characters are supposed to be terrible people. That's the entire purpose of throwing Kihanna, who hasn't grown up rich like the other characters, into the mix. As pretty much everyone in the book is fond of pointing out, she's pure compared to the rest of them. She has morals. She has a line she won't cross.

Except she doesn't hold on to those morals for very long. She goes on and on about saving herself for her true love, yet is willing to sleep with Ty after two months, just to make him happy. She says that she won't change how she dresses to please people, yet she starts to memorize and recognize designer brands. She gets drunk, she judges people based on the cars they drive to school - things she never would have done before she was Kihanna Evers.

And Kihanna's moral decay could have made for an interesting story. It would have been fascinating to watch as she realized that she was heading down a slippery slope, and that by the end, she wasn't any better than the rest of them.

That's not what happened, though. To the end, despite all of the bad choices Kihanna made, everybody continued to hold her up as a paragon of virtue, an unobtainable ideal of perfection. Nobody learns anything from her mistakes, least of all her.

Add to all of that the fact that every single male her age (including her step-brother, Toby) wants to sleep with her, and she was just an entirely insufferable character.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that maybe it's just me. Plenty of other people seem to like this series, and good for them. It just really wasn't my thing.