Maki

The Divide
Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Billy Coatbutton and the Wheel of Destiny (The Sock Gnome Chronicles #1)

Billy Coatbutton and the Wheel of Destiny (The Sock Gnome Chronicles #1) - Michael James Ploof Do you like gnomes? Do you like bad puns? Do you like [b:The Borrowers|348573|The Borrowers (The Borrowers, #1)|Mary Norton|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1308945559s/348573.jpg|802336]?

Then you'll probably enjoy this book.

The first part of the book spends a great deal of time setting up the culture and society of sock gnomes. We learn about sock gnome habits, jobs, and mating rituals before we even get a glimpse of the actual story.

I actually really enjoyed that bit. It was incredibly heavy-handed world-building, to be sure, but since the introduction spent the entire time talking about an imaginary race of gnomes who take your socks, it wasn't too bad.

The story itself wasn't very long, and one of the major plot points involved convenient rhyming. I mean, really...Billy rhymes his way from a random word to salt, which he immediately associates with pepper, and realizes that if the house cat got into the spice cabinet and sneezed, its collar could have slipped off. And this ends up being exactly what happened.

Yeah.

At any rate, the story had a nice moral about being honest, and the sock gnome society was fun to read about. Even if they *do* have a tendency to make horrible, horrible puns about both socks, and gnomes.

And as a parting thought -

"There's no place like gnome" would probably have been a better pun to go with than "There's no home like gnome home".