Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury This is one of those books that I probably should have read before now, but I'm just now getting around to it.

Farenheit 451 is a cautionary tale, set in a dystopian future, and reminded me very much of [b:1984|5470|1984|George Orwell|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348990566s/5470.jpg|153313].

The story is set in a future where books are forbidden, and technology has enveloped America to the point where nobody cares what's going on outside of their own personal bubble. There's no one true cause for the banishment of books - it's a mixture of people moving on to digital mediums, an uprising of minorities who all raise their voices if anything should possibly offend them, and the unspoken belief that ignorance is the great unifier. Everything in this world is aimed at the lowest common denominator.

I was expecting the story to be longer. I raced through the book, and when I looked down I realized that there was only a quarter left for me to read. It was disappointing, because there was too much story to be wrapped up in such a short amount of time.

And the book doesn't really wrap things up. It sets the stage for an attempt at the redemption of humanity, but leaves the rest of the story for reader interpretation. Whether Montag and the others succeed or not depends on your thoughts, your opinions, your beliefs. It's a very personalized ending, while still maintaining its message that even if they should fail this time, there will always be another chance to succeed, as long as there are those who remember.