Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Russian Fairy Tales From the Skazki of Polevoi

Russian Fairy Tales From the Skazki of Polevoi - R. Nisbet (Robert Nisbet) Bain, C. M. Gere This is a fairly large collection of Russian fairy tales, although people familiar with eastern European fairy tales will probably recognize a few stories with Russian dressings. Or maybe they were originally Russian stories, that got stripped down and changed for wherever they ended up.

In any case, there were some familiar stories in the bunch.

Jack gets traded out for Ivan, but the character is still the same. He's still the fool with an incredible amount of luck.

There's a version of "East of the Sun and West of the Moon" in there, except the prince changes into a falcon instead of a bear.

There's also a version of "Seven at One Blow", except it's "Eight at One Blow", and Ivan has to defeat an entire army instead of a giant.

And don't even get me started on the balls! There are so many balls in the various stories collected in this book. It felt like every other story, the hero was given a ball of yarn, or a ball of twine to follow to his or her ultimate destination.

The Baba Yaga made an appearance in a couple of stories, where her only part to play was to be scolded for not feeding and bathing her guests before talking to them, and then telling the hero where to go next. There were no firebirds at all. I had been expecting more of those sort of things.

This isn't a bad collection of fairy tales - I was just expecting them to be more unique to Russia than the stories that were in this book.