Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

The Frog Prince and Other Stories

The Frog Prince and Other Stories - Walter Crane The Frog Prince and Other Stories is a collection of three fairy tales illustrated by Walter Crane.

The collection contains The Frog Prince, Princess Belle-Etoile, and Aladdin.

Princess Belle-Etoile was the only story I hadn't previously read, but it's your typical fairy tale fare of a jealous woman trying to kill a bunch of children, but they just keep succeeding in everything they do.

Aside from Belle-Etoile, there wasn't really anything new in this collection for me.

The illustrations were gorgeous though, and in full color. I did wonder about the fact that Crane's drawings of Aladdin were stylistically Asian, when it's a Middle Eastern story.

I also swear that I had read the Aladdin story in a collection of Russian fairy tales that same day. Different names, and slightly different story, but the similarities between the two were unmistakable.

In both stories, the hero gets a magic ring that grants his wishes, and uses it to wed a princess and build a palace for them to live in, right next to her father's castle. Then, the object that grants the wishes gets stolen (in Aladdin, the lamp is the stronger of the two objects, so it's the lamp that gets stolen), the princess and the palace get teleported somewhere else, and the king threatens to kill the hero if he doesn't return the princess to her rightful place. The hero manages to get back the stolen item from the thief, and returns everything to where it was before, and they all live happily ever after.