Maki

A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

I Kill the Mockingbird - Paul Acampora

I Kill the Mockingbird - Paul Acampora

I Kill the Mockingbird is the story of three kids who become literary terrorists in order to drum up interesting in the book To Kill a Mockingbird, in tribute to their dead English teacher.

The book was short, but cute. I loved how passionate the main characters were about books - I wish I had friends who loved books that much when I was growing up. I kind of intimidated all of my classmates with how much I read.

Ahem! Back to business.

The kids' plan to get attention for the book is to use the power of shrinkage - shelving books in the wrong section so that it's virtually impossible to find the books, if you're looking for them - to make people think that To Kill a Mockingbird is in danger, or in short supply. The kids set up social media sites to help spread the word about their campaign, expecting to get their message out to people in the state. And then, a celebrity tweets about their campaign, and things quickly spiral out of control.

As the situation gets more and more out of hand, the kids' ideas for the campaign start jumping to greater and greater heights, climaxing in an almost book burning. Luckily, they realize that setting books on fire (even if they were old, useless books) is probably not the best idea. Good call.

There was a touch of romance going on in the book, which I didn't think really needed to be in the story at all. It was vaguely touched on, but never fully developed into anything. Then again, this is a MG book, so I guess it makes sense that there's not a lot of focus on the romantic aspects. The romance subplot is left dangling at the end, something to look forward to in the future, along with high school. Maybe that was the point.