Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Evan Burl and the Falling

Evan Burl and the Falling - Justin Blaney Evan Burl and the Falling felt like a cross between the Resurrection of Magic trilogy, and the Monster Blood Tattoo trilogy.

When I started this book, I didn't have a lot of information to go on. I didn't know what the plot was. I didn't know anything about the characters. All I knew was that people were saying good things about it.

After finishing the book, I can officially say...holy crap, that was awesome!

I can't go into the whole reason behind the awesomeness of sapience...not without spoiling the ending. It made for some wonderfully disturbing and creepy scenes near the end, though. Like the thing with Ani and the kitten. If you've read it, you know the scene I'm talking about. Good lord, that scene was creepy! Very few books manage to legitimately bother me, but that entire scene made me shiver.

The plot is a bit confusing early on, but as the story progresses it becomes easier to put together what's going on. There's also a lot of jumping between characters, but each character change is marked at the beginning of the chapter. I didn't think it was too hard to keep up with who was doing what, and when. It was a little obnoxious how slowly information was given out, but I can forgive the story that, as the mystery behind sapience helped make for some really great scenes.

When I started the book, there were lots of grammatical errors. I swear, every single time "it's" was used, it was used backwards. "It's" is a contraction for "it is". "Its" is the possessive of it, like "his" or "her" are the possessive forms of him and her. Possessive nouns are used to denote ownership. If you're talking about the quality of a book's cover, you would say, "its cover". Not "it's cover".

There was also a case or two of "to" being used improperly. However, when I was about halfway through, Amazon sent an updated copy of the book that fixed a lot of the grammatical errors. I didn't go back to where all of the "it's" were, but I know that from where I was till the end, I didn't see any more mistakes. I was glad for the quick update.

I wanted to scream at the ending - as far as cliffhangers go, it was especially frustrating. And the next book isn't supposed to come out until 2014...I think I'm going to go curl up in a corner and cry now.