Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Sophie's Secret (Whispers)

Sophie's Secret (Whispers) - Tara West I thought I would like this book a lot more than I actually did. It just didn't sit right with me.

For starters, the main characters have magical powers (telepathy, foresight, and the ability to see ghosts), but they don't control when their powers activate. Granted, over the course of the book they sort of grow into their powers and gain more control over them, but accidental telepathy?

I didn't like a single character in this book. They were all terrible people. Even Sophie, who's supposed to be the character we're rooting for. She gets bullied by the most popular girl in school, so her reaction to make everything right is to one-up that bullying. It didn't even feel like vindication. It just felt mean.

The depressed teacher should clearly have been in some sort of therapy. It doesn't take mind-reading powers to know when someone is depressed. Any human with any amount of empathy should be able to notice when a person is that depressed. But nobody stops to ask her what's wrong, or if she needs help. And the solution to all of her problems is not to ask the teacher to get help dealing with the death of her family, but to throw more responsibility on her in the form of a pregnant college student. Because stress is exactly what severely depressed people need!

The one thing I liked about this book was the relationship between Sophie and Frankie. Frankie might actually be the only character I didn't want to bludgeon. He was incredibly mature for only being 14-years-old, and was able to recognize the effort Sophie put into changing her image. However, even THAT doesn't matter. The book ends, and the very first chapter of the next one you're given as a preview completely obliterates anything that might have been built towards Frankie making Sophie a better person. So much for that.

I understand what this book was *trying* to do...it just kinda failed at that. Completely. This book doesn't show kids how to be understanding about others' differences. How can it, when all of the "different" characters (Mr. "Pick-and-Flick", "the Beast", etc...) spend the entire book being ridiculed by the main character herself?