Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Among the Thorns

Among the Thorns - Veronica Schanoes This short story is a sequel to the Grimm Brothers' fairy tale "The Jew in the Thorns". Maybe "sequel" isn't the right word. It's not exactly a continuation of the story, even though the main events of the story take place after the original tale. It's more of a jab back at the original story, standing up against the vilification of the Jew in the story. So it's more of a revenge story following the original. A revengequel? Yeah. That sounds about right. I'm calling it. Revengequels should officially be a thing.

Among the Thorns follows the daughter of the Jewish man from the original story, as she takes revenge against the "hero" who robbed, slandered, and ultimately killed her father, and against the town that just stood by and let it happen.

It's a pretty depressing tale.

There's a light at the end of the story, however, as Itte doesn't sink to the same level as the "hero". While she does take her revenge in the end, she manages to show compassion, which is certainly more than can be said for the people in the original story.