Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse

How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse - Cressida Cowell Good lord, does Hiccup take charge in this book! There was very little of his typical "reluctant Hero" timidity here, while he still relied on his brains rather than his brawn (wait...what brawn?) to save the day.

(Granted, there's a reason behind his unusual behavior, but still.)

It was exciting watching him disobey his father, take on the scariest tribe of Vikings - whose boss has a personal vendetta against Hiccup - with almost no assistance, steal a vegetable-that-in-this-review-shall-remain-unnamed, and face a gigantic sea monster to save his best friend's life.

Well, okay. Technically, Camicazi stole the vegetable-that-in-this-review-shall-remain-unnamed, but that's splitting hairs.

I was also glad to see Camicazi brought back, and for such a prominent role. Hooray for female characters who are even matches for male characters, and are not at all pushovers! She actually makes me think of the movie version of Hiccup, with her constant enthusiasm. Except she's, you know. Actually competent.