Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

The Alchemyst

The Alchemyst - Michael Scott, Erik Singer The Alchemyst is a fantasy story written by Michael Scott - an Irish author, not the guy from The Office.

The book follows the adventures of the twins, Sophie and Josh, as they find out that magic, myths and legends are all very real things. They team up with Nicholas Flamel and Scathach (horribly nicknamed "Scatty"), to defeat John Dee and save Flamel's wife.

None of which happens in this book.

There are three more, so I'm sure it'll be wrapped up in those.

All in all, it wasn't a very difficult read. I didn't find myself bored, or drifting off anywhere. The story is what you would expect of a fantasy prophecy story. You've got your diamond-in-the-rough characters who are going to save the world, though one of them might turn evil...and the book leaves you no question as to who it may or may not eventually be. To fulfill their destiny, the characters have to go to A to meet Person 1, who gives them a bit of help, but they have to go to places B, C, and D before they'll be ready to fight the big bad.

It sort of reminded me of Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

...I will never forgive myself for not picking up on that whole Lowkey thing... >_>

Ahem.

The only real problem I had with this book is one I have with a lot of these sorts of books. You know the kind. The ones that incorporate people who actually existed, and claim that the main characters had some influence on the way they turned out. Like, in this book, how Nicholas Flamel taught Shakespeare everything he knew, and London burning down in 1666 was Dee trying to catch Flamel with a fire elemental. It just...irks me when writers do that. No, Shakespeare couldn't have been that bright on his own...he was taught by a 300-year-old immortal alchemist.

Aside from that, it was okay. Not great, but a good enough way to pass the time.