Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Tales of Fantasy and Fact

Tales of Fantasy and Fact - Brander Matthews This book is a cute little collection of short stories.

Each story is wonderfully imaginative, almost all of them having some sort of punchline, or at least an amusing ending. I think the story of the Rival Ghosts was my favorite of the lot, though Sixteen Years Without a Birthday was great, as well.

My favorite part, though, was the post-script from the author. The poor man tried so hard to break away from what he was used to writing, and do a fictional book...only to be told after a few of the stories had been published that his stories were actually fairly close to events that really happened to someone.

The book is best summed up by Matthews' closing:

"After this experience I am tempted to give up all hope that I can ever invent anything which is not a fact, even before I make it up. I am now prepared, therefore, to discover that I did really have an interview with Count Cagliostro, and also that I was actually an unwilling witness at the wedding of the rival ghosts."