Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1

The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1 - Isabella Fontaine, Ken Brosky, Dagny Holt It's no secret that I adore fairy tales.

Reading the description of this book, my first thought was that it was going to be something like that one NBC show, Grimm. Well...it was, but it wasn't.

For starters, I like the premise. It explores what happens to a fairy tale character after the story ends, when the character is left in a world that doesn't work by the rules their lives used to be governed by. All of the Corrupted in these books so far (I read a copy with the first three books all together) have been incredibly, wonderfully creepy and twisted. All-Kinds-of-Fur and Hans my Hedgehog were absolutely amazing.

The writing was simple, but witty at times. There were a few typos, and at one point in the third book, I had to highlight the text on my Kindle copy because the words were either white fonted, or...I'm not sure what happened there, exactly, but there would be entire lines of text that didn't show up until I selected the text. But it wasn't so bad that it really distracted me from the story itself.

When I saw that one of the characters was Br'er Rabbit, I was worried that he might be too...Southern'd up. Like, True Blood or Treme bad. But he was written very well, given the proper respect from an author who grew up loving his stories.

Alice was also a well-written female protagonist. She doesn't whine and wait for a man to save her, but she also isn't violent or a misandrist, going out of her way to prove that she doesn't need a man to take care of her, like so many female protagonists tend to be. She was a normal high-school girl. And that was a very nice change.

I also liked how all of the stories quoted or mentioned in the books were included at the end. Just in case you were interested in the actual fairy tale, or if you needed a refresher course on what the story was about.

If I hadn't been at work while I was reading this, I would have read the entire thing in a single sitting. I could not put it down. And I can't wait for the next arc to come out.