Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Skin Hunger

Skin Hunger - Kathleen Duey This series came highly recommended to me by my youngest brother. There wasn't a Kindle edition, so I had to find a place that sold used books, and wait for them to be shipped in. It was very much worth the wait. Thanks for telling me about these books, Dude! (You know who you are.)

I was given the warning (and the spoiler) ahead of time that the book is actually two alternating stories. You find out about halfway through the book why it's written like that. The alternation between stories really didn't bother me. Each half was well-written and fascinating, and kept fairly short, so that you wouldn't forget what had happened in the other story by the time you got to its next chapter.

I enjoyed that while this book had two protagonists, it didn't really have a hero. Both protagonists know that terrible things are happening, they have the power to try to stop things...but they don't. Sadima ignores what Somiss is doing for Franklin's sake, and Hahp is too scared to do what he knows is right.

I actually did a bit of research on this book before I read it...mostly because I had to wait a week to get it in. I heard a lot of people saying it wasn't really a "kid friendly" book, that it was too dark, and too depressing. After reading it, I don't really think so. Yes, it's got child abuse, murder, and slavery...but it's not the only young adult novel out there that does. I've read much darker stories in just the past month. This book really isn't that bad.

The book ended way too soon for me. I'm just glad I've already got the second one. It makes me sad that I have no idea when the third one will finally be published, though. I hate waiting on books to come out. It's worse in this series, because without the last book, I'm pretty sure absolutely nothing will be tied up or answered at all. I feel sorry for people who have been waiting for the third book since the second one came out in 2009.