Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Sacred Scars

Sacred Scars - Kathleen Duey, Sheila Rayyan Did I say in my first review that I loved my youngest brother for telling me about this series? Remind me to bludgeon him. There's still no information on when the last book is going to be out, though according to the author's blog, it was given to the publishers back in November of 2012. Maybe I won't have to wait long for the rest of this book. Maybe.

My only consolation there is that he didn't know the last one wasn't out yet, so now he's as miserable as I am. Because I'm evil like that. Erm, back to the review.

Sacred Scars was as hard to put down as its predecessor.

The flow in this one wasn't quite the same as the first, however. I see where Sadima's story is going, based on bits of history Haph reads, but the breaking point in her story seems a bit sudden. It trails off for a bit, before coming back to where it becomes part of the story explaining how the world Haph lives in came to be in its current state.

I really enjoyed the sort of...message of the story. Magic cannot be fair.

Also, just when you think you can't hate Somiss any more...the man continues to surprise me.

Haph and Sadima's characters grew a lot in this book. In Skin Hunger, both hated the situations they were in, yet they were scared to do much to change that. By the end of Sacred Scars, both have matured a bit, and are working their way towards standing up for what they believe in. They've become leaders.

They're not "the chosen one". They're not all powerful, or all-knowing. They're just two people. If they fail, they will die. But they choose to risk their lives anyway. That, to me, is much more powerful storytelling than having a god-like character who is pre-destined to save the world.