Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Schooled: How the System Breaks Teachers

Schooled: How the System Breaks Teachers - Dalton Jackson This is the first non-fiction book I've read in a while. I generally stick with fantasy stories, or at least fiction. Switching between the two is occasionally jarring for me...being pulled from a made up world back to the real one. But this book kept my interest the entire time.

I never really thought about what teachers go through before reading this book. I mean, I know it's a tough job, but I never appreciated just how tough.

Growing up, I was lucky to have a lot of wonderful and caring teachers. Not all of them were great, but I definitely had more that I remember fondly than otherwise. These were the people who put their lives into their careers, rather than coasting through, handing out worksheets. So many of my teachers would volunteer their spare time between classes, during lunch, or after school if I ever needed anything. They'd always have a smile on their faces, a story, a joke, or a book recommendation for me. They made learning fun, and my time in school memorable.

It's sad that these treasures are so mistreated.

I work at a hotel. Some of the guests who stay with us are the most stuck up, self-absorbed, rude and insensitive people you could ever meet. I've been cussed out, insulted, threatened, and accused of everything from theft to murder (seriously) - but I know that management stands behind us, as desk clerks. To have to put up with that (and parents defending their children, nonetheless!), and NOT be assured that your employers will do their best to prove you innocent...I applaud those who stay in the teaching industry, despite all of that.

I loved reading this book. You can tell that Mr. Jackson was very affected by his time as a teacher. Whether good or bad memories, they left a mark on him. I can't imagine going through half of what he did...and I'm just a year older than he was when he started teaching!

This book makes you really appreciate teachers, and what they have to put up with. If it doesn't, try to imagine what it would be like if you had to deal with all those problems on your job. I've never wanted to be a teacher, and this just further cements that idea in place. But you can't help but admire the people who can.

To any and all teachers out there - thank you.