Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Reckless Magic

Reckless Magic - Rachel Higginson When I was in middle school, my best friend and I would create these fantasy stories, and worlds. There would be magic, prophecies, dying races, and princes disguising themselves as commoners, who would fall in love with the heroines. This book reminds me very much of something we would have come up with.

I liked this book perhaps a bit more than I should have. There were quite a few grammatical errors (they're and you're instead of there and your), and the story isn't really anything new or different. Eden clearly suffers from "hero/ine syndrome", where every character of the opposite sex *must* be in love with her, even though she's shy, and awkward. But the book really appealed to my sense of nostalgia. Also, I'm a total chick, and love the whole "star-crossed lovers" aspect.

The story itself is pretty fun. Eden whines a bit too much, but she'll hopefully grow into a more confident heroine. The beginning was pretty slow, but once it picked up speed I couldn't put the book down.

I was very pleased to note that the entire series is already out. There's even a fifth, sort of "epilogue", from what I can tell. All of these books came out in the space of a year, or so. That's just impressive. I love it when I don't have to wait months for a sequel to come out! I just hope they weren't all rushed out at the cost of editing...

This was definitely more of a "chick" fantasy book. There's a lot more romance than there is fantasy. I've given the book to my youngest brother, and will see how a male audience would respond. I'd imagine it's a bit too kissy and mushy, though. I'm sure he'll thank me for that.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go read Hopeless Magic.