Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Cat's Paw

Cat's Paw - L.A. Taylor I've changed my mind. Mirandia is officially the most oblivious character I've ever seen. I knew from the very first sentence what the "twist" in this book was. Though I suppose one can hardly call it a twist, when everybody but the main character knows what happened. Now I'm not sure if it was ever meant to be a twist...

Despite wanting to scream in frustration every time she lamented her husband's disappearance, I really enjoyed this book. The book was very well written. There are no big action scenes. There are no epic battles. It's just the story of a woman trying to find out what happened to her husband. Yet I could not set the book down.

I loved the world the book is set in. It could easily have taken place in the real world, a few centuries ago. The way the world is set up made me think very much of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell...just not on as grand of a scale.

The characters were written well. I never had to stop to figure out why a certain character acted a certain way - everybody was developed enough, and had clear enough personalities, despite not being mentioned for more than a paragraph or two. Even the side characters had clear motivations. It was nice to read a book where everything was put in place for a reason, and all plots get tied up.

The only problem I had with this book was the whole Miranda not figuring out what happened bit. For as smart as she was, she really should have caught on sooner...or if not caught on, she should have at least started questioning things. Every time something new got pointed out, I just wanted to scream when she didn't think twice about her observations. But, aside from that, this was a very enjoyable read.

[Though I do question that...semi-bestiality? Near the end. After reading descriptions of the change...why? Just...just why?]