Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Lark's Quest

Lark's Quest - Barbara Cool Lee For being so short, The Search is a very well set-up novella. In just a few chapters, the plot and the main characters are set up, their motivations explained, and a back story is given for everyone who matters. The world is described, not in depth, but enough so that you understand the lay of the land, as it were. This is a world at war, and the one person who has some hope of setting things straight is convinced that he doesn't deserve the role.

It was nice to read a story that tells you exactly what's going on, instead of explaining only part of the problem before you have to go out and buy the next book.

I thought the conflicts were very well done - both the struggle of the kingdom to survive without a king, and Raven's internal struggle between his past and the possibility that he's made everything worse by hiding for all of his life. He's a wonderful character, dealing with difficult choices. Lark seems a little dull in comparison, but she's not a bad character either.

I also had to giggle, because I occasionally use the name Lark (or some variant thereof) - it's what made me decide to pick this book up in the first place. As if that weren't enough, my husband's name is Raven. It was awesome.

To my knowledge, there are five more books in this series. The first one is available for free. Part of the proceeds of the rest of the series go to a charity the author chose - the Second Harvest Food Bank, in the case of the Deeds of the Ariane series.

I just wish the story was longer. I've got to wait to get the next two, which are already out.