Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Killing With The Edge Of The Moon

Killing With The Edge Of The Moon - A.A. Attanasio, John Bauer Witches out to teach people a lesson? Check. Fairies trying to lure people into their realm? Check. World dragon? Check. Strong basis in Celtic mythology and folklore? Definitely. Now that's an Attanasio book!

I liked this book a lot more than I liked the Conjure Book. It felt more like what I was used to from Attanasio. The story was very poetic...not necessarily the way it was written, but the plot itself: girl gets taken by the fairies, her love has to win her back. It's a story of love and redemption. And writers always get bonus points with me for writing fairies properly. Go to hell, Tink - real fairies are terrifying.

I also noticed that Attanasio writes dragons well - both in this book, and The Dragon and the Unicorn. It's an interesting mythology, that the world is a dragon.

Another part I enjoyed about this book was how contained this story was. There's really only five essential characters that the book focuses on, and each of them has time to develop. All of the other background characters stay just there - in the background. The book doesn't stop to go into details about why Chester's family is vegetarian. That information isn't important to the plot, so there's no lengthy sidetracking to go into detail about it. I loved how focused the book was on the story.

The characters, while not the most likeable cast, were interesting enough. Really, it was the Daoine Siddhe that kept me reading.