Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Wilde's Fire

Wilde's Fire  - Krystal Wade I couldn't decide if I liked this book, or if it annoyed me. I think it might be a combination of the two. The world, the war, and the gods are fascinating - but the drawn out drama with Brad was frustrating every step of the way. Yes, I understand why it was set up like it was, but the "love triangle" was dragged out far beyond what it should have been. Especially considering there wasn't really a love triangle. More like a couple with a crazy stalker.

Brad did surprise me, though. At first, I was trying to figure out why he was even put into the story...I was prepared to crack jokes about how effective he was as a character. But then, you find out why he's in the story. It takes a good portion of the book to get to that point, but it's well worth it when you finally do!

I would also like to point out that this book has the chattiest gods I've ever seen in a fantasy story. I'm pretty sure they told Kate everything she needed to know to do her job right. That was impressive.

The romance between Kate and Arland seemed a bit too easy. I get that there's this whole prophecy thing behind it, and Kate has had dreams of him for years before they met, so she technically knew him...but the entire thing felt rushed. Kate even jokes about it in the book, that they've only known each other for a few weeks but they're already madly in love. They barely know each other. Not much time was spent developing the bond between the two of them. One second, Arland was trying to be professional and detached, the next, they're making out by a river. Their relationship might have felt a bit more...real...if more time had been spent letting the readers see them interacting with each other. They're together for all of a week, and then the book jumps to three weeks later, and the main conflict of the story kicks in. Slow down there, book!

As far as plot goes, this book is nothing new - it was at least interesting, though. The book leaves you wanting to read more, but answers enough questions so that you're not frustrated by the time you're done reading. I appreciated that.

So, aside from a few minor problems I had with Wilde's Fire, it was a pretty fun read. Definitely more of a chick book.