Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Lark's Choice

Lark's Choice - Barbara Cool Lee The Choice had a much faster pace than either The Search or The Secret did. The plot zoomed by, and closed everything up pretty well, with the exception of the romance, though I'm pretty sure that the next series will work more on that. The romance in this half of the series took a back seat to the action, and Raven's return to the throne, which is what it was supposed to do. That was always the main focus of the story.

I felt smart as I neared the end, though. It wasn't until I was halfway done with this book that I realized that everybody was named after an animal, or something else in nature. Raven, Lark, Fawn, Willow, Lotus, Wolf, Kestrel, Mouse, Oxen...I probably should have realized that sooner, but for some reason it didn't even cross my mind until this book. I think the only exception was Raven's mother, the Queen, who was named Melody.

The book definitely gets credit for the conflict. I didn't see that one coming at all...although I've already admitted to how observant I was while I was reading, so that statement should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

I enjoyed reading the first half of this series, and hope that the next three books are just as well done. I was pleased that the books were actually edited properly - I think there was only one typo I found, and even that wasn't a terrible one.