Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Tiger Born

Tiger Born - M.A. Nilles It took me a while to get into this book. The first...half of this book, I would say, was almost nothing but Je'Rol getting captured by someone, trying to murder them for daring to restrain him, and then growling in frustration because there was absolutely no way for him to escape. And then escaping, anyway.

After Nadia was introduced was when the plot really took off, and the story became a lot more interesting. She and a lot of the "rebellion" demonlords helped make the book readable - if it had *just* focused on Je'Rol, I don't know if I would have been able to finish it. He was a bit flat as a character. He had the whole internal struggle between control and rage going on, but that's pretty much ALL he had going on. When he wasn't mad about being locked up, he was mad about how half-bloods were treated.

Nadia was a bit more complex as a character. Not much more, as her character's entire motivation was, "J'Rol broke my heart, so now I must kill him". But, she got the ball rolling and led to the introduction of Je'Rol's father and...that other demonlord noble. I can't remember their names, but they were really fascinating characters. I loved every second they were the focus of the story.

The demon designs were pretty cool. While some of the demonlord tribes were just animals (like the tigers), there were several that were amalgamations of different animals, which is always neat to see authors throw together. There weren't nearly enough of these in the book, but the story's main focus was on the civil war in the tiger tribe, so I can forgive that.

Really, I'm most interested in seeing where the series plans on going from here. I mean...the ending. I know what a second book would most likely cover - after the ending, it'll just feel weird, though. The entire focus will have to shift. But maybe that's not such a bad thing.