Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Walking in the Shadows

Walking in the Shadows - Cassandra Giovanni *I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

I loved the premise of this book. The fact that there's a series of murders based on an incredibly popular series of vampire books was hilarious, and it definitely captured the over-the-top, insane fandom that has sprung up from recent vampire series. It did not escape me that the only characters who discussed and ranted about Crimson Reign were all women. I thought that was a very nice touch.

I also enjoyed the romance between Vera and Tad. While it had a "forbidden love" aspect to it (student and teacher), there wasn't a *huge* age gap between the two. They were pretty equally matched as far as abilities go. Vera didn't just wait around crying about her situation, needing Tad to come save her. Even though he wanted to.

Vera was a fairly strong main character. While she went a bit emo at times, she made a lot of progress and changed for the better by the end of the book. And for all of her depression, and her need to keep people locked out of her life, she wasn't a damsel in distress. I was very happy for that.

The murders themselves weren't explained very well, but an air of mystery helped them keep some of their horror after you find out what they were all about. (I will say that I knew who the murderer was halfway through the book.)

My only real problem with the book was that it felt choppy in places. One chapter would be about the present, and then suddenly we'd jump into the past. Some of the transitions between chapters were harsh. It definitely smoothed out as the book progressed, though. By the last few chapters, everything flowed well.