Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

The Poppet and the Lune

The Poppet and the Lune - Madeline Claire Franklin I sometimes really wish I could blurb for books. I had one all thought up for The Poppet and the Lune. "This is the cutest fairy tail you could imagine about a girl sewn together from the discarded organs of dead children."

But, nobody ever asks me for a blurb. (Hmm, I wonder why?)

The Poppet and the Lune was really cute though, despite the fact that the main character was an amalgamation of dead children. It's a fairy tale about finding yourself.

The poppet is a beautiful character - she's naïve, but also brave, determined, and kind. She spends the entire book being passed from one person to the next, each one wanting something from her, until she has nothing left to give. That's when others start giving back to her, ultimately leading to her finding her own name. (Which was obvious, in retrospect. I figured it out after the riddle, though.)

Faolin was...a bit more difficult. While his story arc was just as important as the poppet's, he could be incredibly frustrating at times. All of his choices had to be made in order for the story to progress the way that it did, but I still wanted to beat him upside the head for trying to go back to his village. Their story had a "happily ever after", at least.

The plot was pretty simple - typical fairy tale fare. The story was very description heavy, especially with scenery and appearances. And moonbeams. There are so many descriptions of moonbeams.

The only real problem I had with this book was that occasionally a sentence would have too *many* descriptions in it. Instead of being one or two clear, concise thoughts, a sentence would be made up of five or six different pieces. There weren't many sentences that heavily packed, but the few I remember coming across definitely slowed me down while I sorted through all of the information suddenly being thrown at me.

Here's a good example:

"He stood there, in mid-air, hovering above the rubble of his death bed, a chiseled nude body, utterly smooth and nearly metallic."

That wasn't the worst of the never-ending sentences, by any stretch, but it should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

The side characters were all incredibly fun - in most stories, side characters are just fodder to fill in a certain role. The main character needs to know where a weapon is? There's a side character to tell him exactly what he needs to know. And while each side character in this story was a stepping stone to get to the next, each one was well developed. Nobody in this story really felt like a side character to me. They were all important pieces of the whole, each with their own lives, personalities, and back stories.

This leads to a few places where the story breaks away from Faolin and the poppet to give you backstory, but it never felt annoying. There's an entire section that tells you about the Queen and the witch, and I was just as interested in finding out how the witch came to live in the village as I was about the poppet's quest.

I suppose I'm starting to ramble a bit here.

If you enjoy fairy tales, and are looking for a story that isn't based on something by Hans Christian Andersen or the Grimm Brothers, then I'd definitely recommend this book.