Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Eternal Eden

Eternal Eden - Nicole  Williams Oh Amazon, how you lied to me.

You told me that this book was similar to Reckless Magic. They were nothing alike.

Eternal Eden promises to be a tale of star-crossed lovers...William and Bryn are not star-crossed. They're mildly inconvenienced, at best.

At the beginning of the book, they can't be together because Bryn is human – she stops being human.

Then, they can't be together because of William's mission – his mission gets completely botched, and they're forced to run away together.

THEN, they can't be together because William's father said so, due to some vague prophecy supposedly involving William (nobody in the book is quite sure if William is even the guy mentioned in the prophecy). There's no fix on that in the first book.

So, the only thing stopping William and Bryn from being together is the fact that his father refuses to acknowledge them, because William *might* be important. That's it. How, exactly, is that “star-crossed”?

Romeo and Juliet were from families that were mortal enemies. Eden and Kiran (from Reckless Magic) belonged to opposing sides of a war, AND Kiran's father was actively trying to murder Eden's family. Those couples are star-crossed.

William and Bryn? They can't get married because William's daddy doesn't like it.

It isn't a star-crossed romance when everything fate throws at your relationship only lasts a few days before being resolved. That's pretty much how normal relationships work.

(Also, from what William was saying about the Immortals and how their marriages work, I'd think they would WANT William and Bryn to be together. They're all about balance in relationships, after all, and William and Bryn's powers balance each other out perfectly.)

“Star-crossed” relationships aside, there were three other big problems I had with this book.

The first problem I had was more of an obnoxiously recurring undertone, and I could usually overlook it. I am talking, of course, about the book's similarities to Twilight.

Now, like I said, I could overlook that fact. A lot of books these days are similar to Twilight. I just found myself repeatedly comparing Bryn to Bella.

There was a part in the beginning of the book, where Bryn walked out into the ocean to die because William was gone, and the water made her think of him. All I could think was, “So she just casually strolls into the sea to die because her man left her, so he wouldn't put her in danger? At least Bella tried jumping off a cliff!”

Your female lead should not be making Bella Swan look energetic in comparison.

The second problem with this book...

After reading this book, I can tell you that the Maserati MC12 can hit speeds of over 200kph. I can tell you that the MC12 was created as a race car for the FIA GT. I can tell you there were only 50 of these cars that were released to the general public, and that they sold for roughly 700,000 Euros – millions, in US currency.

[Note: Looking it up, they sold for 600,000 Euros. Not 700,000. Good research there.]

I can tell you that it can go from 0 – 100kph in 3.8 seconds.

[I can also tell you that it can't “redefine” muscle cars, because it isn't one.]

...but the ONLY reason I can tell you what color eyes anyone had is because everybody's eyes are the same color, and that fact is a major plot point that gets repeatedly hammered in.

A CAR SHOULD NOT BE YOUR MOST MEMORABLE CHARACTER.

I seriously can't tell you what color hair anyone had, or what their builds were like. Writing this review just a couple of weeks after reading the book, I had to look up what the main characters' names were. They were THAT unmemorable.

Finally, there was the editing. Oh lord, the editing.

There were parts of the book that read like they were badly translated from a foreign language - not "Engrish" funny badly translated, but just completely misunderstanding the way certain words work.

"...I could see John watching me with interest - as if trying to figure out a mystery as furtive as why the sky was blue."

I stopped paying close attention to the writing after a while, lest I be driven mad. My brain threatened to snap after "a mystery as furtive as why the sky was blue".

Compared to the Star-Crossed series (which is the only reason I got this book in the first place), this book was just plain dull.