Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Wolf Pact, Part I

Wolf Pact, Part I - Melissa  de la Cruz I think I might have mistakenly picked this book up. At first, I thought it was just a new series by de la Cruz, about werewolves. And that's what I expected I was getting myself into when I started reading it.

And then it got confusing.

It took me a while to figure out that it was actually just a continuation of the Blue Bloods books. It didn't help me any that I haven't read all of that series. I was able to get through only because I had a vague recollection of the story from the first three Blue Bloods books. Maybe it's because of that that the story seemed way too fast-paced. One scene jumped to another, with barely any explanation as to what was going on.

Okay, so they're werewolves. And the werewolves are slaves to Lucifer. But they don't want to be, so they escape. And there's some sort of myth about Fenrir saving all the wolves. And wolves are different than Hell Hounds, because Hell Hounds are mind-controlled by Romelus, the Original werewolf. And Bliss, the main character from Blue Bloods, has to find them to stop this war that's going to happen because of something that happened in the Blue Bloods books.

I...kind of understood what was going on? The whole idea was pretty interesting. But I just couldn't follow it. Characters were sort of introduced, and then killed, and never explained. There was almost no character development. Bliss had the most developed story, but that's because she already had an entire series written to set her up.

I know I was supposed to feel sad when that one old wolf died, but I can't even remember his name. He was barely there, never developed as a character, and then killed. There's no time to develop any sort of emotional connection with him. Yet he's given a death-speech scene that's clearly supposed to elicit some sort of response. The only one I could muster was, "Oh yeah. He's a character."

And Lawson...he's got the magical power to create a portal anywhere he wants, but it's never explained how he could possibly have that power until the very end. There's no foreshadowing about it at all. It's not even an interesting twist, because it's never even hinted at that it could be a twist.

I'd very much recommend reading the Blue Bloods books before picking this one up. Otherwise, you're just going to be expected to know everything that's already happened, and be confused by everything that's left unexplained.