Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

To All the Boys I've Loved Before - Jenny Han I found that I liked the idea of this book more than I liked the execution.

I was expecting the book to focus more on the letters, so it was disappointing that while they were important to the plot, they weren't that important to the story. If that makes any sense.

The letters almost immediately take a backseat to Laura Jean's relationship with Peter, and her attempt to save face with her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. Oh, sure, they get mentioned every now and again, as other people get their letters...but this is really a story based on the relationships.

The idea of Laura Jean having a crush on her sister's boyfriend didn't bother me - maybe because I don't have any sisters. That, and she liked the guy first - but when Josh said that he liked Margot, Laura Jean backed off, and got over him. She spends the rest of the book going out of her way to keep Josh at arm's length, even *after* he admits that he still likes her. To me, there was no issue there at all.

Laura Jean's personality, on the other hand, drove me insane. She never acted her age - if it hadn't been for the near-constant reminders that she was in her junior year of high school, I would have guess that she was just a few years older than Kitty.

And if you ever forget that Laura Jean's a junior, based on how she talks and acts - don't worry! You'll get reminded of her grade often. But not quite as often as you'll be reminded that she's half Korean.

There were quite a few unintentional laughs to be had here, though. The entire contract scene was completely ruined for me, because of [b:Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 01|13110891|Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 01 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, #1)|Magica Quartet|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388628618s/13110891.jpg|18284368] memes...

...and the way some things were phrased, or Laura Jean's naiveté caused me to break into fits of giggling.

Along with the fake relationship plot and the barely-there love letter plot, there's also a plot line about Margot going to college, and the family and Margot adapting to the changes everyone had to make in her absence.

There's also the "mystery" of who mailed out the love letters on Laura Jean. I use the term "mystery" very, VERY loosely, because it's not much of a mystery. If the situation leading up to their mailing doesn't give away who the culprit is, you'd be able to get there through simply using the process of elimination.

...Laura Jean's not very bright.

It was Colonel Mustard, in the study, with a candlestick.

In the end, I was just really disappointed with what could have been an interesting book.