Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

How to Train Your Dragon

How to Train Your Dragon - Cressida Cowell I watched the movie based on this book with my daughter the other day, and she absolutely adored the dragons. She kept growling at them. For some reason, she growls at things as a game. My daughter is weird.

Anyway, point is, I figured I'd check out the series since I hadn't read it before, so that I'd have more dragon books on hand if she ever hits a dragon phase. I'm expecting one, to be honest.

How to Train Your Dragon is hilarious. Not all of it, there are parts that can get kind of dark, but in general the book is light-hearted and goofy. The story pokes a lot of fun at a culture built around hyper-masculinity.

This book asks challenging questions, such as:

"How do you become a Hero when Fate seems as determined as possible to make it difficult?"

"What does it mean to Sing for your Supper?"

and, "What do you do when yelling really loud doesn't work?"

The scenes surrounding the book itself were my personal favorites, whether it was Goober the Belch parading about the fact that he stole it from the Meathead's library, the contents of the book itself, carefully copied down into the actual book, the letter Stoick the Vast writes to the author at the end...Ellie kept getting frustrated because I'd stop reading to laugh.

It's definitely a book for younger children, but the book managed to stay smart enough to keep me amused throughout...which is saying something, considering the fact that one of the characters is named Goober the Belch.

NOTE: If you go into this book expecting it to be the same as the movie, you're going to be disappointed. If you go into this book expecting to see the movie version of Toothless, you're going to be disappointed. If, however, you just want to read a book about a Viking boy and his pet dragon, you'll be fine.