Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Dark Rivers of the Heart

Dark Rivers of the Heart - Dean Koontz For there being a good four different plot lines going on in this book, it got off to a realllllly slow start. The first half of this book just dragged, and with so much to be introduced and set up, it shouldn't have. Then, after the book hit its stride around the halfway mark, everything went absolutely insane and all of the plot lines began to converge. It was rather disconcerting to have the plot hit me in the face after something like twenty pages describing the flood Spencer got stuck in, and almost an entire chapter dedicated to talking about property forfeiture and seizure laws.

Out of all of the story lines, I ended up enjoying Spencer's the most. Not the insta-love with Valerie bit, but his dark and tragic past that you're fed snippets of at a time. The story just kept repeating, over and over, slowly adding to the running narrative one piece at a time. It had a very fairy tale-like feel to it, which is probably why I ended up connecting the most with that segment of the story.

I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed the psychological part of the book. After the first five characters who had dark and tragic pasts were introduced, I was determined to hate Spencer, and blame him as the King of All Dark and Tragic Pasts in the book. But the guy and his dog grew on me. In the end, I didn't even really mind the insta-love. It was that interesting of a dark and tragic past.

The friend who recommended the book to me had told me Roy Miro was her favorite villain of all time, so I was expecting great things from him. While he wasn't a horribly written villain (he wasn't evil for stereotypical reasons - he actually thought he was doing the world a favor), I found myself enjoying Spencer's father much more as an antagonist. Now that man knows how to be evil!

Roy and Eve's epilogue plans amused me with their ridiculousness, though, so I can't say that Roy never kept my attention.

Eve's Plan for World Domination:
1. Sleep with father who doesn't know he is her father
2. Convince father to "role-play" him raping his daughter, tape entire thing
3. Blackmail father for lots of money, and a job where she can gather more blackmail info
4. Blackmail politician into marry her
5. Blackmail anyone running against her new husband, so he gets elected President
6. Have President and VP killed in an "accident"
7. Play the "grieving Presidential widow"
8. Run for President herself, and get elected