Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Little Knife

Little Knife - Leigh Bardugo Little Knife, as with The Witch of Duva and The Too-Clever Fox, is a fairy tale set in the world of Ravka. Where Witch of Duva was a cautionary tale, and Too-Clever Fox was a fable, Little Knife reads like a traditional European fairy tale - a rich man is looking to marry off his daughter, and sets three impossible tasks to select a proper husband. It is the least likely suitor who wins the heart of the daughter.

And when I say "least likely suitor", I don't mean the dirt-poor Grisha who is trying to win the girl's hand in marriage. He's actually be the most likely suitor, because we all know how these fairy tales go. The Grisha's got much more of a chance at winning the girl than the poor prince.

Except, that's not what happens.

As amusing as it was to watch the typical fairy tale formula get completely turned on its head, I didn't quite enjoy this short as much as the previous two. Not to say that it was bad - I still loved the story - it just didn't satisfy me quite as much as the others did.