Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Shaman King volume 1

Shaman King, Vol. 1: A Shaman in Tokyo - Hiroyuki Takei This was the book - this was the series that got me started reading manga. I hadn't had much experience with anime, and I didn't even know that manga was a thing when Shaman King first aired on Fox. (Hush, I know.)

It was my first real taste of a story-driven anime, something other than the "bad-guy-of-the-week and eventually a final battle style" cartoon that I was used to. I *adored* the Shaman King anime. I fell for it hard.

I fell for it so hard that for years, I had a Shaman King obsession. I fell for it so hard that I got my anime-hating father so obsessed with the series that he legally changed his last name to Asakura. (Dead serious about that.)

So when I saw a Shaman King book, of course I grabbed it.

Looking back on it with what I know now, the art was a complete mess that was inconsistent with the rest of the series, there wasn't much of a story going on, and the story that *was* there was downright ridiculous and did very little to forward the overall plot of the series.

But fourteen-year-old me was amazed by this book.

The book's really more of a 3-star for me, but I can't discount the impact it had on my teenage years.