Maki

Elizabeth Kay
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Dear, Only You Don't Know! Volume 1

Dear, Only You Don't Know! Volume 1 - Yuria I had originally just picked up this book because it sounded interesting, and I figured I'd give it a look.

Oh my god, was that awesome.

This is a feminist Korean webcomic, and I don't mean that in a bad way. The comic doesn't focus on bashing all men, ever, but instead deals more with what's considered acceptable by society for women to be seen doing, and plays around with the idea of conforming to a patriarchal society in public, but in private being able to express ones' true self.

The six main characters are fearsome gang leaders, comic book nerds, outspoken. They've got bad pasts that they're trying to run away from, they get harassed, and they deal with the threats of discrimination. It has strong female characters that can fall in love without becoming submissive doormats.

The artworks's pretty good, too.

I'd definitely recommend this series for a female crowd, though. This isn't exactly a male-friendly comic; while the story doesn't outright condemn all men as perverts or misogynistic pigs, and even has strong male characters that stand up against the men who give the gender a bad reputation, it does get a bit...creative...in how it deals with abusive and perverted men.

I won't lie, quite a bit of the story is feminist wish fulfillment. You can tell that it was written with a female audience in mind. But that worked for me.